Community Teacher Orientation, January 2017
What a wonderful, crazy year this has been! It’s hard to believe but year 2 is in the books. Thanks to the support of so many, we had a really successful year and took a big step forward in growing our efforts to set middle school youth on the road to college & career. Here are just a few highlights from the year…
- Expanded from a 2-to-4 day per week program at Skyline Middle School
- Served 133 Harrisonburg City middle school youth, maintaining 91 average enrollment and 81% daily attendance rate
- Added two full-time AmeriCorps State service members to the program team
- Launched 8th Grade Academy (8GA) focused on helping a cohort of 8th grade youth make successful transition to high school and beyond, including first overnight college tour to William & Mary and Virginia State University
- Offered 24 different 10-week long Career Enrichment Projects with exciting new classes & partnerships, including video production, nonprofits, teaching, real estate, just to name a few
- Daniella and Genesis, two 8GA youth, were chosen by Virginia Partnership for Out-of-School Time (VPOST) to represent Virginia as youth ambassadors at the Afterschool for All Challenge. They joined youth, parents, and supporters from 45 states and D.C. on Capitol Hill in early June to meet with 200 members of Congress and their staff to advocate for afterschool funding;
- 128 volunteers contributed nearly 1,200 hours of service.
Our work is only possible thanks to our amazing supporters! If you have been considering a donation and want to contribute to the cause, make a tax-deductible gift by June 30th before our fiscal year comes to a close. Wishing you a wonderful summer. Thanks!